This series is about fashion guru, Mackenzie Williams (Mickey). She has been obsessed with fashion for as long as she can remember and her unusual style sets her apart from everyone she knows. Then she gets accepted into the Fashion Academy of Brooklyn (FAB) and her life turns around. She has received a full scholarship to one of the most prestigious fashion schools in the country. However, it comes at a price. She has to move in with her stuffy Aunt Olive and has to make friends at a school full of posh, rich and very well-connected children in the fashion world. She doesn’t feel like she will be able to fit in, but it’s too rare of an opportunity to miss.
Mickey is an inspirational character and is a great role model for everybody. She has passions and dreams that she is not afraid to follow and she never gives up, no matter how impossible her ambitions may seem. She doesn’t fit in with the ‘cool kids’, but with a new best friend, JC, and some changes to her style, she starts to transform herself into a proper fashion designer. The once pink-haired amateur fashionista has turned into ‘professional fashion designer – Kenzie Wills’.
Mickey starts to realise that her personal style is what got her the scholarship, not the artificial one she has created. This book is about self-confidence, finding your place and accepting yourself, because everyone is perfect in different ways. The story teaches you that the best way to find your path in the world is to embrace who you really are.
I would rate this book a 5/5 as it is humorous, fast-paced and has lots of interesting references to fashion and design. It is one of my favourite series, as it has an extremely powerful message. I would recommend this book for ages 8 to 13.
Fashionable Jewellery Holder
This FABulous jewellery holder is really easy to make and can be used as an eye-catching decoration and of course a way to organise your jewellery.
- 1 sheet of white A4 card
- Binder clips of your choice ( I chose elegant rose gold ones )
- Stick-on gems ( Optional )
- Hot glue gun
- Magnetic tape
- Unorganised jewellery
- Cut out a reasonably sized rectangle from your sheet of white card.
2. With a pencil draw 6 lines on it. This is where your binder clips will eventually be.
3. Then pick out 6 binder clips and heat up the hot glue gun.
4. When the glue gun is ready stick down each of the binder clips on the pencil lines.
5. Now stick the magnetic tape onto the back of the card.
5. If you wanted to jazz the craft up, you could even stick on some gems.
6. Now you’re on your path to total organisation…
Try to measure the gaps between the binder clips to make it totally perfect.